As in many households around the world we are a bit Frozen crazy around here. My girls, and admittedly myself, love the movie. Even Nora recognizes the opening notes of the movie and will start dancing! Given their love of all things Frozen it was no surprise when Maya and Anna wanted to be Elsa and Anna for Halloween. Since they were going with the Frozen theme I figured It was only fitting that Nora go with the theme as well. What more fitting costume for my happy go lucky Nora than Olaf. After a quick search I discovered that someone failed at their job and didn’t think a baby sized Olaf costume was a good idea. Since I couldn’t find one I decided to make one instead.
Really, it was a pretty easy costume to make and It was so fun too. All I needed was a white hat, big enough for a face,a white shirt, white pants, some felt and pipe cleaners. A trip to Target and one to the craft store and I had all the items needed. I pulled up a picture of Olaf and did my best to copy his eyes, nose, eyebrows , arms and hair. I think it turned out pretty well.
The first “try on” attempt of the costume didn’t go so well. Nora was clearly not a fan of dressing up that day
She has warmed up to the costume now that she has worn it a couple of times. She makes one pretty adorable Olaf if you ask me.
I had one woman come up to me at a Halloween party we attended and said I totally should have mass marketed this costume. And, she is right. I could have made a ton, oh well!
I kind of out did myself this year. Not only did I make Maya’s Angelina Ballerina costume, but, feeling inspired by that project I decided to make Anna’s costume as well. I better watch it or I’ll turn into Martha Stewart or something
Since Anna isn’t old enough to pick her own costume yet I let Maya decide. When I asked her Maya promptly said “a cute little fairy so she can have a nice tutu like my Angelina Ballerina one”. So, I set to work planning out a fairy costume suitable for a 1 year old.
I started with the tutu. I knew I wanted the tutu to be purple because the fairy wings we already had are purple. But, other than that I wasn’t exactly sure what look I was going for. I hit up our local craft store and found some glittery tulle and was inspired. I used purple tulle, the glitter tulle and some thin glitter ribbon to make the tutu. I decided on a length of 6 inches and cut out my fabric. I used the same method to tie the tulle to the elastic waist band I had made as I did with Maya’s costume as I liked the puffy look it provided. Once the tulle and ribbon were all in place I attached little purple and glittery white flowers I had also found at the craft store. I stitched them around the front half of the tutu. The end result was exactly what I had envisioned. And, I must say, I was pretty impressed with how this one turned out. (I may have a new found obsession with making tutus).
Next up was the wings. I knew Anna wouldn’t be up for wings unless they were attached to her shirt and didn’t get in her way. We had a small pair of purple fairy wings lying around the house from an old Tinker Bell costume of Maya’s. I decided to stitch the wings to the back of an old white, long sleeved onesie, that way Anna couldn’t pull them off and they wouldn’t be in her way. The wings are stitched on in just a few spots so I can easily cut the stitching afterwards and give Maya her wings back, but are still very secure.
Last up was a headpiece of some kind. Anna is not a fan of hats or headbands of any kind and will not tolerate them for even a second. So, I knew whatever I came up with had to be a clip of some kind since she wears those with no problem. She already had a white and purple flower clip so I decided to just tie a few pieces of the glitter ribbon I used in her tutu to the clip for an added touch and go with that. Simple, yet perfect.
The end result is a pretty stinkin’ cute little fairy if I do say so myself. She was very much into checking herself out in the mirror today when she tried on the full costume.
I’ve had dreams in the past, even grand plans, to make Maya’s Halloween costume. But, those grand plans and great ideas always ended with me buying a costume instead. This year when Maya said she wanted to be Angelina Ballerina for Halloween I knew I would likely have to make her costume because I wouldn’t have a fall back that I could just buy at the store.
I looked around online to see what was available and when I found one only okay looking costume I set to work making my plans to make it myself. I sought some advice on making my own tutu and watched a couple of videos on making mouse ears. From there I felt some what prepared and set to work gathering the necessary supplies.
The first part of the costume I tackled was the tutu. I purchased 3 rolls of pink tulle, a wide elastic band and some red roses. I measured Maya to determine waist size and length I wanted for the tutu. After measuring and cutting a ton of tulle I set to work tying the tulle to the elastic waistband I had made. I wanted the tutu to be very puffy so I stacked three pieces of tulle for each section. Once all the tulle was tied on I added the red rose. It turned out pretty well.
Once I had successfully completed the tutu I set to work on the mouse ears. I purchased a white headband, white felt, pink felt and white foam pieces. I traced a glass to make my ear pieces. Each ear is made up of 2 rounds of white felt with 2 rounds of foam glued inside for structure. I added smaller pink rounds to the front of each ear. To attach the ears to the headband I used a strip of felt glued to each ear and wrapped around the headband and glued into place. I added a big pink bow in the center to make them look more like Angelina ears.
I was very happy with how both the ears and the tutu turned out, but more importantly Maya was very happy with the finally outcome.
My little Angelina Ballerina!