We all know and hear about the common early signs of pregnancy, things like nausea, cramping, tiredness and breast tenderness. They are the symptoms we are on the look out for when we suspect we may be pregnant, those tell tale signs. However, for some women there are no early signs of pregnancy, their missed period is the only indication that something is going on inside their body. For others, there are symptoms but they don’t fit under the normal and common categories, instead they find themselves experiencing some very unusual and uncommon early symptoms of pregnancy.
Early signs of pregnancy can be deceiving when they are common, especially those symptoms like bloating and breast tenderness, that are common premenstrual symptoms as well. When you begin experiencing uncommon or unusual symptoms you can really begin to second guess what is going with your body and be very unsure of what to do. So, what are some the uncommon and unusual symptoms of early pregnancy:
- Nasal congestion – a stuffy nose feeling, similar to what you would feel if you had allergies or a cold, but without any other cold symptoms. Most common in the early morning when you first wake up.
- Excessive Salivation – an increase in the production of saliva caused by hormones. This increased salivation can also lead to increased nausea.
- Metallic Taste – a strange taste of metal in the mouth, also thought to be caused by hormones.
- Spider Veins – an increase in the appearance of the veins on your chest and upper arms, they are very small veins that resemble spider legs, hence the name spider veins. Thought to be caused by an increase in the volume of blood your body produces during pregnancy. A common symptom later in pregnancy, it is considered uncommon during early pregnancy.
- Leg cramps – a cramping of the legs most common at night while you are trying to sleep. This is a very common late pregnancy symptoms, however, it is uncommon in early pregnancy.
The only tell tale indication that you are indeed pregnant is a positive pregnancy test. If you are experiencing any of symptoms, whether common or uncommon, that lead you to believe you may in fact be pregnant be sure to take a home pregnancy test and consult with your doctor.
Did you experience any uncommon or unusual symptoms early in your pregnancy? What were they?