TwitterRSS
Or, subscribe via email

Supporting

Let's Talk Babies!

We all know and hear about the common early signs of pregnancy, things like nausea, cramping, tiredness and breast tenderness.  They are the symptoms we are on the look out for when we suspect we may be pregnant, those tell tale signs.  However, for some women there are no early signs of pregnancy, their missed period is the only indication that something is going on inside their body.  For others, there are symptoms but they don’t fit under the normal and common categories, instead they find themselves experiencing some very unusual and uncommon early symptoms of pregnancy.

Early signs of pregnancy can be deceiving when they are common, especially those symptoms like bloating and breast tenderness, that are common premenstrual symptoms as well.  When you begin experiencing uncommon or unusual symptoms you can really begin to second guess what is going with your body and be very unsure of what to do.  So, what are some the uncommon and unusual symptoms of early pregnancy:

• Nasal congestion – a stuffy nose feeling, similar to what you would feel if you had allergies or a cold, but without any other cold symptoms.  Most common in the early morning when you first wake up.
  • Excessive Salivation – an increase in the production of saliva caused by hormones.  This increased salivation can also lead to increased nausea.
  • Metallic Taste – a strange taste of metal in the mouth, also thought to be caused by hormones.
  • Spider Veins – an increase in the appearance of the veins on your chest and upper arms, they are very small veins that resemble spider legs, hence the name spider veins.  Thought to be caused by an increase in the volume of blood your body produces during pregnancy.  A common symptom later in pregnancy, it is considered uncommon during early pregnancy.
  • Leg cramps – a cramping of the legs most common at night while you are trying to sleep.  This is a very common late pregnancy symptoms, however, it is uncommon in early pregnancy.

The only tell tale indication that you are indeed pregnant is a positive pregnancy test.  If you are experiencing any of symptoms, whether common or uncommon, that lead you to believe you may in fact be pregnant be sure to take a home pregnancy test and consult with your doctor.

Did you experience any uncommon or unusual symptoms early in your pregnancy?  What were they?

23 Responses to Uncommon and Unusual Early Signs of Pregnancy

• mandy says:

I had no clue I was pregnant. My period was still sketchy after coming off of the nuva-ring, pregnancy tests came up negative. It wasn’t until I nearly passed out at work that I had a blood test done.

• Nikki says:

This is very helpful. I’m not othe pill or taking antibiotics, sexualy active, never been pregnant before, and 18 years old. I had strep for a week n half just got better probably 3-2 days ago. While I had strep bad I was experiencing an odd feeling in my abdomen (sensation) as a wonderful bonus started spotting which has turned into bleeding 3 weeks ago (I still am). I figured I was ovulating at first with spotting just starting 2 weeks after my period. The 3 pregnancy tests I took the end of march (one the 27th, 30th, and 31st) showed negative. My cycle is regular (has a history of being late every now and then by a day or so) but recently became regular when I came of the pill in November. Last night I had a headache at my temples, did not want to eat, body just ached from my neck to my ankles. This morning I woke up around 4-5 am with a stomach pain til about 9am when I woke up again still there but it slowed off a little bit after I started cleaning up and for some reason my bowel movement today has been rough (and again I’m getting used to eating again like usual) so I didn’t overeat.
    Today as a whole has consisted of body ache, cycle like bleeding, (just finished eating enough to suffice) and abdominal pain.
    Also I knew I was ovlating last week yet the comment I received from a friend “you look pregnant” they also noted it seemed I gained very little weight (when it doesn’t feel like it and my weight on da scale was the same) so I’m not sure and I miss sex lol. Any advice on what this crazy hormone combination may be?

• Nikki,

It sounds to me like you are battling some kind of stomach virus, or something. You could always take another home pregnancy test if your period doesn’t show up or you could go to your doctor to see what may be going on.

• Nikki says:

Also I knew I was ovlating last week yet the comment I received from a friend “you look pregnant” they also noted it seemed I gained very little weight (when it doesn’t feel like it and my weight on da scale was the same) so I’m not sure and I miss sex lol. Any suggestions to what this crazy combination of hormones might be? Oh I b4 I forget I have had a runny nose in the morning but I’m assuming its the weather change?

• tasia says:

I’m 20 and 10 days away from my 21st bday. I had my period but I wet off three days earlier then normal. I’m dizzy when I wake up but never throw up. I have what feels lie acid reflex at night and slight headaches during the day and nausea but never this up. Mg mouth is very watery. And I eat everything in sight. I sleep more and feel fluttering in my stomach throughout the day. I wonder if its quickening or not. But I’ve been getting irregular periods. HELP

• Tasia,

If you think you may be pregnant your best bet is to take a home pregnancy test. If that comes up negative I would recommend a visit to the doctor to see what else may be causing your symptoms.

• miss rose says:

OMG. I had unprotected sex exactly 4 weeks ago. I started having noticable symptoms, nausea, fatigue, tender/sore boobs, sleeplessness at night.. But then I had my period. It was heavy, but it was short. My periods are irregular and heavy, and usually last for a long time. This period was a very short 3 days.. I didn’t think anymore of pregnancy til I started having symptoms again.. my boobs are still sore, I have frequent headaches, I have spider veins on my boobs, leg cramps, and something like nausea, i don’t feel it in my stomach, it just feels like i need to throw up.. Can I be pregnant even tho I had a heavy period?

• Miss Rose,

Yes it is possible to still get your period while you are pregnant. In rare cases some women will have a period every month during their pregnancies. Your best bet is to take a home pregnancy test if you think there is a possibility that you may be pregnant.

• Nye says:

I had my period last month on the 22 till the 25th andi think I may have had unprotected sex around the time I was ovulating now this month my period was not supposed to b due till around the 22nd last week I went to wipe myself and it was a pink slimy substance on the tp later that day I began spotting like pinkish red blood wit a brownish tint I stopped bleeding on the 16th and there were no cramps could this b implantation bleeding if so when can I take a pregnancy test?

• Nye,

It’s possible that you experienced implantation bleeding. For best and most accurate results it is best to take a home pregnancy after the date your period should have arrived. I would recommend taking the test sometime after the 22nd, if you get a negative you can either test again later on, go to your doctor for a blood test or just wait and see if your period arrives as normal next month. Best of luck to you.

• patty says:

I had my period on the 23rd of October until the 27th.From the 28th until last night I’m having unprotected sex with my husband (trying to have a baby). Since the 2nd of October(6 days today) I’m having lower back pains, headaches every day,feeling nauseous and light headed,fatigue,bbs sore,swollen and nipples sensitive,I’m constipated.I also have abdomen mild pain and eat way more than I used to.Also I’m bloated but I think it’s cause I’m constipated.Yesterday felt like I my mouth was bleeding twice for a few minutes but it wasn’t… Took a hpt test today in the morning and it was negative. Hoping I’m pregnant!!!

• Patty,

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. It can be so hard, that wait between ovulation and when your period is due.

• patty says:

Thank you very much!! Honestly the waiting part is the hardest thing I’ve ever been through!

• Wish says:

Hello i am 1 week away from my period and i have Nasal congestion , leg cramp and back pain and also feeling very cold and also tender brst, i did the preg test yesterday and it was negative .. is it very early to check ? please check

• Wish says:

Hello i am 1 week away from my period and i have Nasal congestion , leg cramp and back pain and also feeling very cold and also tender brst, i did the preg test yesterday and it was negative .. is it very early to check ? please help !

• Wish says:

Hello i am 1 week away from my period and i have Nasal congestion , leg cramp and back pain and also feeling very cold and also tender brst, i did the preg test yesterday and it was negative .. is it very early to check ? please Help

• Wish,

Most home pregnancy test aren’t considered accurate until after your missed period. I would wait a few more days and test again. If you buy the First Response tests they are more accurate if taken before your missed period.

• Kae says:

I had sex dec 17th And on the 24t I had my period but it went off like the 26th and its very weird for me to have short periods, I was light but heavy and. I took a pregnacy test and it came out negative but I’m having CRAZY symptoms except for nausea. .. is it possible that I could be pregnat? ??

• Meagan says:

Hello. In need of some advice. I had my implant removed august last year as me and my partner both decided we’re ready to start a family. We’ve been trying since my implant has been removed but had no luck
    we have been taking conception tablets to improve the systems but still had nothing. I’ve been wanting children for a few years now and im worried that im unable to conceive. I know all the ins and outs about ovulation and fertile window but naturally have intercourse 2-3 times a week as we are an active couple. Waiting for the positive result is getting upsetting. Is there anything anyone would recommend?

• Meagan,

Have you tried using an ovulation prediction test? When I was trying to conceive my 2nd daughter it took almost a year and it wasn’t until my second month of using an ovulation test that I became pregnant. It turned out that I was ovulated 1-3 days later in my cycle than would be considered “normal”. You could also talk to your doctor if you are concerned, most won’t step in until you have been trying for a year but it wouldn’t hurt to bring it up.

• izzy says:

My last period was on aug 25 and i had intercourse on the 19th on sept but i didnt get a period dat month and i usually get it every month juss different days..i had spotting and on oct1 i had bleeding for a couple days then i went off a couple days later i started spotting again now ive been a total biotch i had a rash between my legs on my thighs a runny nose headaches eating alot veins on my chest and arms nausa sometimes it comes for a lil then leaves my boyfriends does nothing but sleep all day and i have this nasty taste in my mouth..could i be pregnant?

• Thank you for several other informative site. The spot different could I get that will sort of info designed in this kind of perfect approach? I own a job that I’m at the moment working on, and i have been in this start looking out there pertaining to similarly info.

• Cara Merawat says:

One oft-cited early sign of pregnancy is the change in a woman’s period. There are many ways in which a woman’s period can change. For instance, a woman may find that she does not get her period at all. If a woman tracks her menstrual cycle religiously, this can be a surefire early sign of pregnancy.

In lieu of a missed period, however, a pregnant woman might learn that she is pregnant if the flow of her period seems to suddenly differ from its usual level. Her period may seem to flow heavier than she usually observes. Or, perhaps, she might discover that the flow of her period seems much lighter. Whichever the case, a change in a woman’s period can be a strong and early sign of pregnancy.