TwitterRSS
Or, subscribe via email

Supporting

Let's Talk Babies!

I have a lot of readers coming to my site in search of information on the early signs of pregnancy.  Many women who suspect they may be pregnant leave comments wondering if what they are feeling are really signs of pregnancy.  When I suspected that I might be pregnant one of the first things I did was go online and do some research.  I already knew what many of the early signs of pregnancy were, but for some reason I needed to read it all again just to reassure myself.  I was planning my pregnancy so I was beside myself with excitement at the idea but a majority of pregnancies remain unplanned and not everyone is super excited when they start feeling those early signs of pregnancy and often aren’t sure what to do next.

To help all those women who are out there researching this very topic I thought I would revisit the early signs of pregnancy with a fun post about what things may indicate that you are pregnant.

You Might Be Pregnant If….

• Your period is late or you missed a period completely.  However, if you don’t have a very regular cycle you may not even notice a late or missed period so this isn’t much help as an early sign.
  • You have experienced what is called implantation bleeding.  This is a small amount of bleeding that can occur when the fertilized egg implants into the uterine wall, some women mistake this for a period so they don’t realize that they missed their period.
  • Your breasts have become swollen and tender.  This tends to happen in the first couple of weeks after fertilization.  However, a lot of women also experience this symptom when their period is about to start so it often goes unnoticed as a sign of pregnancy.
  • You are getting very, very sleepy.  As early as one week after conception you may notice that you are exhausted all the time and can’t seem to get enough sleep (This was one of the first things I noticed).
  • You seem to be suffering from that dreadful first sign of pregnancy, morning sickness.  Since it is often accompanied by extreme tiredness many women mistakenly think that they are suffering from the flu when in fact they are pregnant.
  • You are experiencing abdominal cramping (similar to menstrual cramps) and/or pain in your lower back.
  • You are experiencing abdominal bloating (again often mistaken for a sign of an impending period).

For many women the early signs of pregnancy are often mistaken for the telltale signs that their period is about to start.  Since many of the symptoms are so similar it can take a while before you realize that what you are experiencing is something different.  Many women will often miss two periods before they realize that things just aren’t right and they are experiencing early signs of pregnancy.

If you think you might be pregnant take a home pregnancy test or go to your doctor to get a blood test.  You can have all the signs of pregnancy without actually being pregnant.  The only way to know for sure is to get tested.

13 Responses to You Might Be Pregnant If…

• jgjojo says:

Hi,
    I was wondering what you think I was bloated most of september and didn’t get my period til oct the 2nd and even after it passed I still feel really bloated and crampy and really tired and my breast feel really tender and heavier.
    What do u think?

• Jgjojo,
    You could take a home pregnancy test to see if you are pregnant. It could just be that you are having a weird cycle but it wouldn’t hurt to see what a home pregnancy test says.

• Bettyboop69 says:

I am so confused as to what is going on with my body right now.
    I am 21 and married, my last reg cycle was March 7th, then I had some bleeding in April. Shorter than my normal cycle but at least two days; had un-protected sex during ovulation at the end of April then in March, it was late and only lasted a day. No pms symptoms, just cramping n spotting. One day is all it lasted but I only get negatives when I’ve tested at home.

I’m extremely tired, moody, bigger breasts, don’t feel like myself at all but I really don’t know what to do anymore.

• Bettyboop69

It could be that you are not pregnant and there is something else causing the irregularity in your cycle, or it could be that you are too early in your pregnancy to get a positive result on a home pregnancy test. My advice would be to wait and see what happens with your cycle this month, see if you are late or not and if you are test again. If you are still getting negative results but still feel like you might be pregnant than make an appointment with your doctor.

• BJ says:

My period came on November 18 and went off November 21st. I had unprotected sex November 23 and 24th. The following week i vomitted once…i feel very tired and lazy. My breast feel sore sometimes…and my stomach always feel funny. My back hurts but i think its from work and the headaches are common. I always feel like i have to vomit and all i want to eat is sweets. I sometimes even feel like im short winded now. At night its hard to get comfortable so i barely get any sleep. My period is very irregular. I didnt see it for over nine months until November. I took a pregnancy test on November 28 and it read negative…im thinking i took it too early. What do you think?

• BJ,

It was probably too early given when your last period was. Since your cycles are so irregular it may be hard to know when to test. I would wait another week and if you still think you might be pregnant take another test. You could also go get a blood test from your doctor but they won’t usually do those until after your missed period.

• Gabriela says:

If youre one day late and youre usually always on time with your period what does that mean? Also ive been sleeping more than usual im always tired so does that mean anything? Please help im a teen and very confused n scared

• Gabriela says:

If youre one day late and youre usually always on time with your period what does that mean? Also ive been sleeping more than usual im always tired so does that mean anything? And ive been wanting a lot of sweets and candy
    Please help im a teen and very confused n scared

• Gabriela,

Being one day late does not necessarily mean anything, it is normal for a period to fluctuate slightly. If you have had unprotected sex and you think you might be pregnant I would recommend taking a home pregnancy test or going into a family planning center for a pregnancy test. Best of luck to you.

• Gabriela says:

Ok so I had intercourse with my bf on the day were I was ovulating I didnt get my period for the whole month of december I was getting symptoms like nausea cravings I was very sleepy all the tine I got tired very easily and dizziness and the today I started bleeding at first it was light then bright but my pad isnt showing a lot of blood I dont know what to do?? can I still be pregnant??

• Gabriela,

I would see what happens, if it turns into a normal period you probably aren’t pregnant. You could always take a home pregnancy test to see what it says.

• val h says:

I had my period about two weeks ago and had unprotected sex, and missed some pills. I had two seperate times when I had a spot of blood after going to the bathroom, and I haven’t had any since. I feel very tired at times and other times i have trouble getting to sleep. My breasts are tender to touch. I took a pregnancy test two actually and one test was expired though and another that wasn’t both came up negative. Could the test be wrong im always regular with my period. Did I take the test too soon?

• Val H,

If your last period was just 2 weeks ago it is probably too soon to test. It is always most accurate once you have missed your period. If you continue to get negative results and still feel like something is off I would recommend calling your doctor.