I have received several comments on my article, Early Signs of Pregnancy, from readers wondering what they should do if they think they may be pregnant. I thought I would write a quick article with some suggestions to help other readers who may be wondering the same thing.

There are really only a couple of things you can to do determine if you really are pregnant.

• You can opt to take a home pregnancy test. These can be purchased from any pharmacy or grocery store. There are many options on the market so be sure to read the labels and pick one that suits you preferences and needs. Home pregnancy tests have fairly high accuracy rates when used correctly and used at the proper time. False positives are very rare.

OR

• You can visit your doctor for a doctor administered urine pregnancy test (similar to home pregnancy tests) or a blood test. Many women feel more comfortable hearing the results directly from their doctor, especially if you are unsure about performing the home test properly. If you don’t have a regular doctor or lack health insurance you can also go to a clinic to have these doctor administered tests.

There are many early signs of pregnancy from sore and swollen breasts, cramping, exhaustion, morning sickness, and lack of or late period. All of these symptoms can also be signs of other things that may be going on, which makes it important to find out for sure. Any time you have unprotected sex (and even protected sex since no birth control is 100% accurate) there is a chance of getting pregnant. If you suspect that you may be pregnant the best thing is to take a pregnancy test.

If you have questions or concerns about your early pregnancy symptoms, or about how to get and administer a pregnancy test you should contact your doctor.

326 Responses to What to Do if You Think You Are Pregnant

• Lisa,

I would definitely recommend going to your doctor. They can give you a blood test to determine if you are pregnant, it is much more sensitive than a urine test. If you are not pregnant your doctor can do other tests to determine what else might be going on. Best of luck.

• Diane says:

How many days after unprotected sex can you go to the doctor,
    My partner and I are trying for a baby,we had unprotected sex on the 3rd July and I’m having some pregnancy symptoms,my last period was the 28th of June so I’m not due again until the end if July I think but can’t wait that long to do a pregnancy test

• Diane says:

Hi
    My partner and I are trying for a baby, had unprotected sex on the 3rd July so about 9 days ago,but have had unprotected sex since and before then too,
    My last period was 28th June so not due till the end of July I think and can’t wait that long to do a test so when can I go to my doctor

• Diane,

Most doctors won’t see you for pregnancy testing until after you’ve missed a period or you get a positive result on a home pregnancy test. There are home pregnancy tests that are accurate 5 days before your missed period, but all pregnancy tests become more accurate after you’ve missed your period. Unfortunately when it comes to making a baby there is a lot of waiting involved. Your best bet is to wait until you’ve either missed your period or are very close to when it is due and test with a home pregnancy test and go from there. Best of luck.

• Pingback: Chances of Getting Pregnant | Let’s Talk Babies

• sarah says:

Hi Lisa. my period is a week late. i have really sore boobs, on the 9th and 10th of this month we had sex and on the 14th i spotted very lightly for 2 days. I’ve had nausea daily, dizzieness, have been exhausted, have had heartburn, been emotional. i took a pregnancy test a few days ago and it came back negative. should i test again? i dont know and im absolutelty terrified.

• Sarah,

I’d take another if I were you and if it still comes up negative make an appointment with your doctor for a blood test to confirm and to find out what else may be causing your symptoms. Good luck.

• Kaylie says:

My partner and I had unprotected sex 5 days after my period was over this month, and I watch my fertile and ovulation dates on my cell phone through a calendar and the calendar said that today was a low fertile day for today and yesterday when it happened it was a non fertile day. I am just so confused. Ive been hearing so many stories I just want answers so I can figure out what I should be doing. I am confused and terrified could you please help!

• Kaylie,

Your best bet would be to take a home pregnancy test if you think you might be pregnant.

• Elina says:

I do not even know how I stopped up here, however I assumed this put up used to be great. I do not realize who you are but definitely you are going to a well-known blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

• Crystal says:

Hi there,
    Just wondering… I have not been very diligent in keeping track of when my period date is, we just started talking about getting pregnant, but low and behold, three at home pregnancy test later, they all come back positive! Great news for my husband and I, but I must admit, I have no idea my next step.. do I just call my doctor and say I might be pregnant.. I am not a regular with the doctor that is for sure so I am not entirely sure when I should go..

• Crystal,

Congrats! Yep, give your doctor a call. They will likely have you come in for a blood test to confirm the pregnancy and may also schedule an early ultrasound to make sure everything is in the proper place and to date the pregnancy. Best of luck to you.

• what if you think youre pregnant and not very sure about it and if you are what is the best way to tell youre mom and dad whn you have the very mean parents that dont like teen pregaceny

• Sheeniqua,

I would recommend that you talk with your doctor or a counselor so they can help you determine if you are pregnant and then talk with your parents with you. Best of luck, I hope everything works out.

• Ashley says:

Me and my boy friend had unprotected sex a day before my period was supost to start. And now I have still not started my period is there a chance I could be pregnant??

• Ashley,

There is a chance of becoming pregnant anytime you have unprotected sex. I would recommend taking a home pregnancy test.

• Claire says:

Hi I am 11 days late for my period am feeling rather emotional, keep feeling like I am going to come on but it’s just discharge like I had with my first, I am never normally this late only ever been 3 days maximum once. I am also very tired was having cramping earlier on, I have took 3 tests all saying negative one on day it was due, 2 days after and at a week. Don’t know what to do now.

• Claire,

I would recommend going to your doctor to get checked out. They can do a pregnancy test there to see if you are just getting false negatives and if not check to see what else may be causing your symptoms.

• Jasmine says:

Hi,
    Me and my fiance have been having unprotected sex and he always releases in me. About two days after my last period which was 22nd of august we had sex alot and eversince ive had headaches,lost of appetite ausea no vomiting,smell everything tired like tremendously abdominal cramps and since spt 4 sore breast with white bumps around them..also vaginal discharge..can someone help pls?

• Jasmine says:

I meant the last day of my last period was the 22 nd of august.

• Jasmine,

Have you taken a home pregnancy test? If not I would start there.

• jasmine says:

lisa,

thanks, i am planning to take one today..im must admit im a little nervous even though i want to be pregnant..but if not is it normal to have all these symptoms only days after your period? i never experienced it before?

• pretty says:

Hi ! My last periods were on the 15th Dec to 21st December. I have no clue when am I due for January. My problem is, I had unprotected sex on d 5th January and I’m feeling sleepy ,cramps , swollen eyes in the morning , I have not yet been on my periods. Pls help

• Irene Carrera says:

Hi Lisa I’m concerned I could be pregnant again as it could be my second pregnancy. My husband and I recently had unprotected sex more than once this month. I started my period on the second ended the 7th and around that time frame maybe the 9th or so we had unprotected sex and again on the 14th I did have a c-section my first pregnancy and fear if I’m pregnant again I may have another what should I do? I have been feeling so sick, moody, tired, and feel like a tickle sensation in my stomach.

• Caprecia says:

I got my period on August 17. My boyfriend and i had unprotected sex on the 24th. Ive been bleeding for about 3 weeks now and im going through horrible abdominal pain and its beginning to become more intense. I’ve been nauseous in the morning. We’ve been ttc for over a year now Could i be pregnant?

• Terrianna says:

Hi I used the IUD for 4 years and recently I changed to the nuva ring. I am now 12 days late and I had unprotected sex with the ring inserted 2 days after having the IUD removed, could I be pregnant? My last cycle was Feb 8