TwitterRSS
Or, subscribe via email

Supporting

Let's Talk Babies!

So you bought a bunch of pregnancy tests and the stick (or sticks as the case maybe) turned pink (or blue or said “pregnant” depending on the brand you used!!) so now what. Whether the pregnancy is planned or a complete surprise, there are bound to be a ton of emotions running through you. Everything from complete joy, to fear, to anxiety, to disbelief, the emotions are endless.

As you digest this news and deal with all the new feelings the question is what to do now.  Now that the test says you’re going to have a baby, what things do you need to make sure you do, what changes should you make.

• First things first, call you your doctor or midwife to have the pregnancy confirmed by a professional and get checked out. Good prenatal care starts with early appointments with your doctor and making sure everything starts out as best as can be.
  • If you are not already taking prenatal vitamins, start now. Your baby will make many developmental changes very early in your pregnancy. The vitamins and minerals in a prenatal vitamin are very important in those early days and weeks, especially folic acid which is proven to prevent neural tube defects.
  • Now is the time to give up any of those vices such as alcohol, smoking, and illegal (or legal) drugs. All have been proven to impact fetal development when consumed during pregnancy so the earlier you give these up the better.
  • If you are taking any drugs for chronic health problems talk to your doctor about whether they are safe to take during pregnancy or you need to make some changes.
  • Start working on that healthy diet and exercise plan. Your doctor should be able to advise you on what foods you should make sure you have and those you should avoid, and can let you know what exercise is recommended for you early in pregnancy.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself during this very new and very exciting time Smile.

On a personal note, I am very honored and pleased to announce that this is my 100th post here at Let’s Talk Babies.  Thanks for all the visits, comments, and fun over the last several months.  Here’s to the next 100 posts.

19 Responses to So the Pregnancy Test is Positive, Now What?

• Cathy says:

Hi Lisa, Congratulations!
    That’s quite an accomplishment – 100 posts! Keep ‘em comin’ – I for one enjoy your short, informative and insightful posts.

• Hi Lisa,

I’ve always wondered a positive test would be like! ;) Thanks for dropping by my corner and congrats on your 100th post…those milestones are lots of fun hugh?!

Hugs,
    Holly

• Thanks Holly. It is fun to reach that 100th post milestone.

• Stephanie says:

Yah 100 posts! Good job.

Good tips. I think the most important one is the last one, ENJOY this time!

• kailani says:

I remember when I took that test for my second daughter. The pink line was so faint I thought I was imagining it.

Congrats on your 100th post! Yay!

Here from the Carnival of Family Life.

• Sha Sha says:

Congrats on the 100th posts Lisa !:) –Just swing by ;)

• Mystery wolfe says:

hi. Congrats on the 100th post, i was wondering. What exactly do you do if none of the early signs occure…but the tests say pregnant. and neither the father nor i wanted a child?

• Mystery Wolf

I would recommend talking to your doctor, getting a blood test to confirm the pregnancy and then deciding on what you want to do from there.

• shewolf says:

hi just wondering i had a positive pregnancy test and im nearly 17yrs old any ideas wat to do??

• Shewolf,

Definitely get into see a doctor and talk to either your parents, or another adult that you trust so they can help you.

• Pingback: Early Signs of Pregnancy -- Let’s Talk Babies -- Tips for parenting, pregnancy, and all things baby…

• Kat b says:

Hi, today after over a decade I had my first positive test.
    I am
    Scared to death!! Why is such a joyous occasion turning in to a paranoid moment. I keep thinking I must be reading it wrong? Or is it too early? And now I am panicking at evey feeling in my tummy ( most of which is just my tummy turning with worry) thank you for your insight. And sorry for the random reply. Just needed to say it all.

• Kat b

Congratulations!!! I wish you all the best with your pregnancy. It is perfectly normal to worry at every little twinge, to second guess yourself and the test results. Try not to stress yourself out and you can always keep peeing on a stick if you need to make yourself feel better ;)

• Kat b says:

Thanx Lisa :) . It is the weirdest range of emotions.

• Angela says:

I just got a positive on an HPT. It has been 6 years since my first child was born and I am very excited to have a new addition to my family on the way.

Now to tell my husband :-)

• Angela,

Congrats!! That’s so exciting :)

• Elizabeth says:

I know when I first found out I was pregnant with my first I went into total denial! I was in shock and then utter confusion. so checking out all kinds of pregnancy sites helped calm my nerves. I knew what to expect after they were born I was just scared to death of the actual pregnancy and birth!

• Elizabeth says:

you ladies may find this site interesting to as every site has different information and every parent parents differently http://www.miraclematernity.com/impregnantnowwhat/

• jeanne says:

Im 39 and just took a test and it was positive but i noticed i spotted just a very little. I really dont remember what to expect its been 16 years since ive had a baby! scared any suggestions?