TwitterRSS
Or, subscribe via email

Supporting

Let's Talk Babies!

Your window of opportunity to get pregnant in any given month is fairly small. A fertile woman has a 20 percent chance of conceiving during a cycle. Luckily, 85 percent of healthy, fertile couples will conceive within 1 year of trying.

Conception can only occur during a small window during your cycle. Your egg will live for 24 hours after ovulation so fertilization must occur within that 24 hours. Sperm can live inside a woman for 2-3 days so that helps increase the odds a little. The trick is determining when ovulation has occurred so you can plan your schedule around it. There are a few different ways in which you can try to predict ovulation.

Keeping track of your cycle: If you cycle is fairly regular you can try to predict when ovulation will occur. For a normal cycle that is 28 days long ovulation will typically occur on the 14th day of your cycle (that would be 14 days from the start of your last period), so by counting forward from the first day of your cycle you can predict about what day you will ovulate. This method of course is no help at all if your cycle is irregular.

Basal Body Temperature: When ovulation has occurred your basal body temperature will rise, it is a pretty small increase in temperature, only about 1/2 a degree to a degree. You can help predict when ovulation will occur by keeping track of your basal body temperature for several months to identify a trend. You will need to take your temperature first thing in the morning every day and chart your temperature. Over several months you will begin to see a trend that will be able to help you predict when ovulation typically occurs in your cycle. This method will require a little more commitment and time.

Ovulation Predictor Kits: Ovulation predictor kits are now available that women can use to determine if ovulation is about to occur. The way these kits work is a woman urinates on the stick and the stick will change color when you are about to ovulate. These kits measure the luteinizing hormone (LH) levels in your urine which rise the day before ovulation occurs. The kits can be expensive, ranging in price from about $20-$50, so you might not want to rely on this every month.

Some lucky women will notice physical signs that ovulation has occurred such as cramping. For most women, however, there are no physical signs and ovulation remains a mystery. When you are trying to get pregnant it can be a bit frustrating, but remember the odds are in your favor. Talk to your doctor for some additional pointers on trying to predict ovulation. If after 12 months of trying you still have not been able to conceive consult your doctor to determine if there is some underlying fertility problem.

Best of luck to everyone trying to get pregnant, I know it can be a bit nerve wracking and a little stressful as you wait to see if you conceived.

(Source: BabyCenter)

24 Responses to Getting Pregnant – Tracking Ovulation

• Cathy says:

Remember to have fun too 😉

• You don’t mention the best way of all, observation of cervical mucus. Toni Weschler’s book, Take Charge of YOur Fertility, explains it as does Meryl Weinstein’s book, Your Fertility Signals. All women who ovulate can learn to recognize the signs, and they also experience temperature fluctuations that they can learn to interpret. It’s not a “mystery”and it only takes a month or two to learn.

• Mother in Israel,

Thanks for the great recommendation. I am sure my readers will find it very helpful.

• Csara says:

I have a wonderful article on my site written by one of the moms who has been tracking her fertility cycle for about 5 years. It gives the basic rundown in easy to understand terms:

• kali says:

HELP I got a positive ovulation test today what are somethings I can do to help insure we get pregnant????

• Kali,

I think if you get a positive on an ovulation test you have a very short time in which to get pregnant. The best thing to do is have unprotected sex during that time and then you just have to wait and see. I don’t necessarily believe in all those old wives tales but you could read up on a few of those to see if they help.

• kay says:

This is more of a question than a reply. i ve been trying to get pregnant for at least six months now and im begining to think that im unable to have children. i ve recently gotten off of the shot in december of 2007 and wana know does that have anything to do with it. i want to have a baby but i need to know how can i make that happen….

• Kay,

I would recommend talking to your doctor about how long it usually takes women coming off the shot to get pregnant. I know doctors usually say to give it a year of trying before you get concerned. If you are worried though it wouldn’t hurt to talk to your doctor. Best of luck to you.

• Katie says:

This is a question not a reply. I took a blood test today and found out that I am not pregnant. I took the test because I am 9 days late and the home preg tests said negative. July way my first month off thepill and I had a normal period then. But in August I apparently didn’t ovulate. Is this normal? Should I be worried, or just keep trying this month?

• Katie,

It does take a few months for your cycle to return to normal after going off the pill. If you are worried I would recommend consulting your doctor for some advice.

• Lindsay says:

I have been tracking my ovulation for awhile now…….what are my chances of being pregnant when we made love on the day of ovulation?

• Lindsay,

Unfortunately it completely depends on the person. On average there is about a 25% chance of getting pregnant in any given month. At this point you’ll just have to wait and see if you were successful. Good luck 😉

• Esther says:

Hi well I moved to NY to be with my boyfriend and we have been trying to conceive for about 8 mnths, he is 32 and i am 23 he has no children, my period comes every 25-28 days …. i am giving up…. and its very depressing, month after month, they told me i might have adenomyosis can that be the reason and he is now checking for his sperms, what is adenomyosis , i want to have a baby so bad i want to start my family already…

• Esther,

I would recommend talking to your doctor and getting a proper diagnosis. From what I understand adenomyosis doesn’t usually affect fertility the way endormetriosis does. Most doctors will advise you to seek help if you have tried unsuccessful to get pregnant for a year. Best of luck to you, I hope it all works out.

• molly and brenda peay says:

Me and my wife are trying to have a baby we tried with one of my family members before but we really don’t no if it would have worked because she got an std so now we found a new std hiv neg. Person we started 2 days ago with the sprem donor today was her last ovulation day we did the sperm all there days she already has 3 children youngest is 7 yrs old what are our chances she hasn’t had any male sexual contact and 5 years do you think it will work!!

• Molly and Brenda,

Most experts say there is approximately a 25% chance of getting pregnant during any cycle. I know it can be so hard, but really all you can do is wait. Best of luck to you, hopefully it works.

• Elizabeth says:

I’ve been having unprotected sex with my husband for 4yrs and we haven’t gotten pregnant. I know it’s not him, he has a daughter. Do you think I can’t have babies?

• Elizabeth,

I believe they say if you have not gotten pregnant after one year of trying you should see a doctor. I would recommend talking to your doctor, it could be an easy fix. And just because your husband has a child doesn’t mean it isn’t him, you should both get checked out.

• Kyong Croner says:

More than anything my husband and I wanted a baby, we had been trying for a year with no success. My husband bought every single book and program on the market . We have been testing for ovulation everyday and saving up our baby generating time for just when that little stick turned pink. Our next step was infertility treatment, we had been avoiding it due to the fact our insurance would not cover it and for IVF and everything that came with it , we had been looking at close to $30,000.00. Until we finally discovered some thing that worked, This really is what worked for us and I am proud to tell other folks about it The Pregnancy Miracle. I hope with all my heart this assists you and like me you too realized the joy of having a child.

• Pingback: Getting Pregnant, It’s All About Timing -- Let’s Talk Babies -- Tips for parenting, pregnancy, and all things baby…

• Sylvana says:

I track my ovulation every month and I always know what day I ovulate. I have been using many tools for tracking it. I haven’t really gotten any good tools so far, until I discovered MyFertilityChart and can’t be more happy 😀 Been tracking with them for 8 months now, never have been so happy. It’s a free tool and you can get the Premium tools in the trial: http://www.myfertilitycharts.com/trial

• bruidspaar says:

My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking into your web page again.

• kelsey louise says:

Me and my boyfriend have been trying for a baby for around 7 months now, i did a pregnancy test and it come back with a dark negative line ad a light posotive line i dont know if im pregnant what do i do :/

• Kelsey Louise,

I would recommend taking another test or going to your doctor to have them administer the test.