Morning sickness is one of the most common ailments during pregnancy. According to the Mayo Clinic close to 70% of pregnant women suffer from morning sickness during the first trimester. For most women this pesky symptom will go away as the second trimester begins, however, for some women it may stick around. Morning sickness can be very aggravating, especially when everything seems to make it worse. Luckily women from generations before us have discovered a few helpful things to get you through.

Here are a few things that are reported to make the nausea more tolerable.

Ginger: recent research has confirmed that ginger can help manage morning sickness during the first months of pregnancy. When absorbed into the GI tract ginger helps to sooth nausea. Nausea is usually worse in the morning so starting your day with a bit of ginger can help to sooth the nausea throughout the day. Here are a few suggestions for adding a little ginger to your diet, sprinkle crystallized ginger on your cereal, have toast with ginger jam, or tea made from steeped fresh ginger slices.

Nausea Breaking Foods: nausea breaking foods are those foods that will break the nausea cycle. For each woman it will be different since nausea itself is triggered by different things for different women. For example, if spicy foods make your nauseous try something bland the break the cycle. This technique with require a little trial and error, the key is to identify the trigger and usually the opposite type of food will break the cycle.

Tried and Tested: women who have suffered from morning sickness in their own pregnancies can be the best source of ideas on how to manage the nausea. We have all heard that crackers are a staple for those suffering through morning sickness. There are a few other common foods that moms who have suffered through recommend. They include: potato chips, lemons, lemonade, gelatin, watermelon, raspberry tea, ginger snaps, avocados, popsicles, graham crackers, yogurt, peppermint, baked potatoes, and rice cakes.

The key to managing morning sickness is to identify those things that trigger the nausea and then those things that help to reduce it. Each woman and pregnancy is unique so be sure to talk to your doctor or midwife, and other moms who have suffered from morning sickness, to help you figure out what will work for you. You may have to try out a few things before you find what works best for you.

What worked for you in combating morning sickness while you were pregnant? Any tricks you learned that you would like to share?

(source WebMD)

18 Responses to Common Cures for Morning Sickness

• Michelle says:

Some great tips, I look forward to including it in the carnival Monday.

• Kate says:

My mother and I both found that protein helped us control our nausea. My mother actually ate liver every day, but I ate turkey and my sister ate the whites from boiled eggs.

I think one of the most important things to remember in nausea control is to never let yourself get hungry. I think that’s why protein helped us, it takes longer to digest.

• Pingback: Medicinal Herbs

• Andrea rodriguez says:

Pickles help me. Also for some reason choclate ice cream helps with my nausea, whether it’s in ice cream or a shake, it helps.

• Amber Davenport says:

I found that eating all foods i would usually eat when i am sick ( E.G When i have the flu or a cold) tends to work. Also coca cola helped me HEAPS although induced burping as did peppermint tea. But make sure you eat very frequently as you will feel worse if you dont!
    Drinking water cold made me feel sick so i stuck to lukewarm water, i can stay hydrated and not feel so bad after. Also iron tablets can help take away that nasty dizziness and also loosen youre bowl movements, a great achievement!

I also made pure orange juice from my orange tree outside, not only does it keep you’re mind off the m/s you also get a refreshing reward afterwards that helps you feel more energised in a natural way!

Also baked beans and scrambled eggs or spaghetti in place of the baked beans on some toast with grated cheese helps me in the morning, as does a toasted chese and onion sarnie!!

But im 6 weeks so i know i have plenty more of this to go so if i find out some more cures i will fill you in!

amber x

• Amber,

Thanks for sharing your tips. It is really neat to see what works for other people.

• amanda says:

for me,I am only in my seond week.I had nausea,quite bad in morning and in evening,I got a craving for clemantines,and I eat loads-but no sickness for 2 days since I started eating them!

• Hi Amanda,

For me it was grapes!!! Now my 1 year old daughter absolutely loves grapes, funny how that worked out :)

• Melissa Cole says:

I keep Nilla wafers by my bed, and get my husband to bring me a little breakfast in bed, like a plain toaster waffle or a small bowl of oatmeal. During the day, chicken salad and fresh fruit (like cantaloupes and grapes) seem to keep the nausea at bay for longer than just eating a lot of “white food” like crackers and bread.

• Melissa,

Those are some great suggestions. I too found that fresh fruit really helped. I ate a ton of grapes when I was pregnant!!

• Ruth Nelson says:

Cinamon humbugs seem to work for me. I suffer with terrible morning sickness with my first and this pregnancy, nothing has ever worked before but honestly these really seem to take the edge off the nausa. Its worth a try right!!

• Thanks for the suggestion Ruth. You’re right it is worth a try if you suffer from bad morning sickness, a lot of women are willing to try almost anything!

• shanea says:

I’m about 7 weeks, and I’m not really naseaus until after I eat. But eating fruit, especially bananas, seems to not make me as sick. And fruit is really easy to eat just a little of and eat often, as I have heard that that helps.

• Shanea,

It is so nice when you find something that helps. Thanks for your tip.

• Saidah says:

I found coca cola works. I had my son two years ago and suffered through the terrible morning sickness. But I read about the cola with my current pregnancy, and I feel much better. Now to get through the rest of the first trimester!

• Helen says:

Coke is the only thing that has helped me so far (6 weeks, 2nd pregnancy). Last time I managed by keeping digestive biscuits by my bed and eating one before I got up. This time the nausea is 10x worse and I’m struggling to find anything that doesn’t make me want to heave! Plus I am hungry pretty much every hour on the dot. So far I have found fruits to be the easiest on the stomach, plain crackers and mashed potato. Anything with dairy, meat (especially chicken), seafood, eggs etc is too much for me.

Sadly I hate ginger as well so that won’t help!

Great tips ladies.

• Helen,

It is funny how there tends to be that one thing that seems to work for each woman, and it is often different pregnancy to pregnancy as well. I hope you get a break from the morning sickness once you get out of the first trimester. Morning sickness is no fun.

• Cary Wittig says:

Related to increased estrogen levels, a similar form of nausea is also seen in some women who use hormonal contraception or hormone replacement therapy. The nausea can be mild or induce actual vomiting, however, not severe enough to cause metabolic derangement. In more severe cases, vomiting may cause dehydration, weight loss, alkalosis and hypokalemia. This condition is known as hyperemesis gravidarum and occurs in about 1% of all pregnancies. Nausea and vomiting can be one of the first signs of pregnancy and usually begins around the 6th week of pregnancy (counting gestational age from 14 days before conception)….-:

Remember to pay a visit to our new blog site <http://healthmedicinebook.comwx