It seems to be the eternal struggle of motherhood, how to juggle home life with work life, and not go totally crazy in the process. There are many demands on our time making it seem that we are constantly being pulled in different directions. A request from work to travel for several days, a sick son at home who just wants you to stay home and take care of him, the rest of the family looking at you with those hungry eyes that say “what’s for dinner”, and a dog that needs to be taken to the vet. How on earth can you possibly do all of these things and remain at least somewhat sane?
The life of a mother is a careful dance of making sure everyone’s needs are met, often at the expense of your own needs. I suppose the trick is finding that perfect mix of home, work, and personal demands that allows everyone to come out happy. What moms often forget is that you might not be able to make everyone happy and meet everyone’s needs Coming to terms with that is difficult for a woman, particularly a mom. So what is a mom to do, how can she find the right balance? I asked around and here are a few tips and tricks that were shared:
- Make family a priority. Work often puts a lot of demands on us, try to make sure you don’t give everything to work at the expense of your family, or yourself for that matter.
- Talk to your family about the demands they are making on you if they become too much. It is important that your children and partner understand what are reasonable expectations, and reasonable demands.
- If you have older children get them involved by assigning them household chores. They will learn from the experience and it will also be a tremendous help to you.
- Learn how to say NO. When asked to take on an extra assignment at work, or work on something for the school PTA, or whatever the demand may be, if you feel that your plate is already full just say no. It’s ok to say no sometimes, and people won’t hate you for it.
- Take some time for yourself. Many people I talked to recommended at least once a week. You are of no help to anyone if you are sick or overly stressed. Find something you really enjoy doing and take some time to do it.
- Ask your partner for help. We often feel that we should be able to do it all ourselves and don’t even think to ask our partner to take on some of the workload. You can’t expect them to know you need help unless you ask for it.
There are many ways you can learn how to juggle your time. The important thing is to remember you are only human and you can only handle so much. If you can’t do something say so, if you need help say so, and remember to take care of yourself.
If you have suggestions or helpful tips please share them so that other moms can learn from your experiences.